Cloud Computing has literally changed the way how IT organisations work. But data security and privacy are the main concerns among user organisations and cloud service providers. Along with agility and efficiency new challenges also arise. Organisations are now faced with rationalising their move to the cloud, balancing its advantages and barriers as they chart the course of their cloud journey. Here are a list of major data protection challenges enterprises may face while embracing cloud. This article talks about how you can solve those challenges so that you can realise the full potential of your next cloud project.
- Data security challenges: Embracing the cloud means you are completely surrendering your sensitive data to a third party. This can sometime put an organisation into great risk. For the time being we cannot completely say our data is absolutely safe in the cloud. So security of the cloud is a conflicting topic for most enterprises.
Solution: While using cloud, the first thing you should do is to define the level of privacy you need and thus a level of protection for it. Data can be successfully protected through certain proper steps. The key is to find the right vendor. Choose the most reliable service provider; in their hands your data is absolutely safe. It is better to avail the service of a cloud provider who use local encryption and decryption of your files in addition to storage and backup. Also be sure to select a solution that will encrypt data without slowing backups or the options that will embed encryption capabilities so that they can be applied selectively based on policies.
- Reliability Challenges: Though the cloud market is rapidly maturing, news of outage and failures still pop up giving rise to reliability concerns. It is still not sure that your data is reliability retained and available in the cloud.
Solution: Cloud reliability can be assured while working with trusted partners. They must have solid track record of success and stringent SLAs. It is also wise to choose cloud vendor partners who can offer cloud portability
- Reducing backup time: The more data to protect, the more time and bandwidth is needed to backup. Many organisations do not have the ability to offer an ‘overnight’ window where application may be slower or unavailable.
Solution: Choose better compression and deduplication solution that reduce storage needs. Data protection application should demand a global deduplications that will reduce backup windows and storage requirements.
- Protecting data from both physical and virtual infrastructures: Few businesses have virtualized 100% of their datacenter servers. It would be good if they have achieved 100% virtualization. But if enterprises adopt a specialized backup product, it can’t backup physical servers. Also, many virtualization specific backup products don’t offer complete, or even any, support for sending backup data offsite using tapes. This has left too many companies with an inefficient backup posture.
Solution: There should be a centralized backup management console and repository, regardless of the server being protected. Additionally, data protection tools should provide enterprises a variety of offsite storage options including tape storage, cloud storage, disk storage, or replication to another data center site.
- Applications are not cloud ready: Currently most of the applications are not cloud friendly. They need to be designed to optimize band width and deliver optimized performances so that workloads can be efficiently offloaded to the cloud when needed. You can’t avail 100% efficiency of cloud infrastructure if the applications are not optimized for cloud operation.
Solution: Leverage the cloud for data protection and disaster recovery. Select a data protection solution that offers application-aware backup, recovery and archive that’s optimized to manage on premise, private, public and hybrid cloud. By bridging multiple hypervisors with cloud platforms and offering self-service provisioning and management of both VMs and cloud instances, the best cloud enabled data protection and information management solution make every application- cloud ready-more efficient and elastic
With the best security practices, enhanced application with cloud enabled data protection and joining hands with trusted partners that deliver a unified approach can reap best results in your cloud data protection.
Insight Consultants already successful in integrating cloud services and offers successful cloud enabled services to our clients. We follow a structured approach to establish our client’s business needs, assess the underlying technology components like infrastructure, application, processes, policies etc and then deploy the appropriate cloud computing components. We were also successful in analyzing current state to identify opportunities for leveraging cloud computing, assess and recommend the optimal cloud orchestration solution set, migrate cloud ready applications and data to cloud environment, management of IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS components, managed services for a cloud environment etc. For best output we do the required changes across people, process and technology, and accelerate the transformation of IT to an on demand, service-oriented environment.
Do Contact Us to know more about our cloud services.